Offering The Skilled, Attentive Representation You Deserve

What consent is needed to effectuate a California adoption?

On Behalf of | May 31, 2019 | Adoption And Guardianship

If you’ve considered adopting a child, then you’ve likely heard the word “consent” used quite a bit. The parent or agency responsible for a child must relinquish their rights to a minor before the adoption process can move forward.

The Children’s Bureau notes that consent to the adoption process is handled differently by each individual state. Most jurisdictions require for parents, private or government agencies to provide written consent for an adoption. That document generally has to be both notarized and witnessed. In some cases, this process may have to occur in front of a judge.

Most states have different requirements that apply to the adoption process to ensure that the best interests of the child, their adoptive parents and their birth ones are protected.

These protections serve to protect children from being forcibly removed from the homes of adult caregivers without cause. They also give adoptive parents the peace of mind in knowing that their adopted child is legally their’s. These procedures ensure that the biological moms and dads of these children are informed of their rights and that they’ve been given ample time to make informed decisions.

Many states allow birth mothers to consent to an adoption before the birth of their child. They often require them to reaffirm her decision once again once the baby has arrived though. Many jurisdictions also require parents to be given a waiting period before they’re allowed to sign over the parental rights of their newborn to someone else.

Birth parents and private or state agencies aren’t the only ones who can provide consent either. It is possible for a court-appointed guardian, close family relative or guardian ad litem to provide consent for adoption as well.

It’s an admirable choice that you’re interested in taking on the responsibility of raising a child here in Riverside. If you have questions about who can provide consent and when it can be executed, then an adoption and guardianship attorney can help. They can advise you of specific California requirements regarding these and other concerns.